Saturday, June 9, 2012

Criticisms of the UN - are they valid? Part 2 of 2

In part one of this post, I discussed how I generally believe criticism is important and can be valuable when offered in a spirit conducive to learning and growth.  To answer the title question, "Are criticisms of the UN valid?" - the answer is..."it depends".  The recently-released documentary "UN Me" raised some valid questions, and it also portrayed some outright lies, in my opinion.  Something I've learned as part of the world's largest bureaucracy over the past three months is that sometimes its very difficult to discern fact from fiction, even from the inside.

I'm very proud to be part of the UN.  And although I am part of the UN, I'm only part of one small subset of the massive body that is the United Nations.  So instead of making sweeping judgments about facets of the UN of which I have no experience, I feel it is more fair to discuss criticisms of the UN based on my direct experience in the Office of the Ombudsman and Mediation Services (UNOMS).

I arrived at the UN three months ago with high expectations: in addition to interning at an organization that sets the global standard for conflict resolution, the office in which I was chosen to work is full of professionals who assist in resolving conflicts between UN staff members.  "Oh boy", I thought, "they'll show me how its done," especially in terms of the interpersonally-based office conflict that's such a constant source of angst in most office environments.  I expected to see exemplary conflict resolution skills dripping off my colleagues around every corner, reinforcing a working environment free from interpersonal strife.  Obviously, this is not realistic.

An important fact had been critically missing from my thought process...my colleagues are human, too.  I work with some of the brightest, most experienced professionals in my field at UNOMS, and even they struggle with "impact versus intent" and how to have a "difficult conversation."  There is tension in the office at times, and I've learned that "professionalism" is subjective, and can often be culturally dependent.

One of the most interesting parts of working in a truly international office is that, for the first time in my white privileged American life, I'm exposed to perceptions individuals from other countries have of Americans.  I love that.  I never knew how or why Americans are often perceived as being informal or inpatient - I now have a much better understanding.

I accepted this internship knowing parts of it would be a struggle for me, namely having to identify as an intern.  I left the glass-walled office at my own fitness club in the idyllic little town of Cottage Grove, Oregon for a dimly-lit, windowless cubicle with a boss looking over my shoulder at a busy office in midtown Manhattan, respectively.  The transition has been more difficult than I imagined it would be.  There have been days I wanted to get on the next flight home.  But as I enter the final weeks of this experience, I feel a renewal of gratitude for this opportunity, struggles included.

The criticisms I have regarding my experience at UNOMS aren't really specific to this office, or to the UN.  The issues are ubiquitous.  And they mostly come down to people simply being people.  The strongest commonality I can decipher between causes of conflict in the office environment of the UN and general conflict between people in everyday social settings is this - we are poor communicators.  Good communication takes time and it takes effort, and we so often lack both.  Although that's obviously an oversimplification, its given me a renewed sense of purpose and pride in my course of study.  Much of what I'm learning as a Conflict and Dispute Resolution (CRES) Master's student at Oregon is how to coach others to overcome conflict in a positive manner.  Conflict is ubiquitous, and if we want to, we can learn how to "do it" better.

There are no fast and easy solutions to overcoming conflict.  As my conflict resolution skills continue to improve, I try to remain ever cognizant of how my actions may impact on others.  I do my best to understand and take responsibility for my part in the conflict.  I strive to stay open-minded and suspend judgment, then make the decision to have the "difficult conversation," if warranted.  I don't think becoming a perfect conflict resolver is the point (or is even possible); its the learning and growth that matters most.  Although I surely have a long way to go, a day of increased knowledge is a day of success.  Viewed in this light, every single day of my internship has been a success of its own.

I'm very grateful for the knowledge I've gained as a CRES student over the past year, and for the knowledge I've gained from my colleagues at the Ombuds and Mediation office at the United Nations.  Thanks to all of you for your patience with me.


Hiking in New Jersey
Hiking in New Jersey



No comments:

Post a Comment